Here is a post I really liked from my early days of the blog:
I discovered Piet (pronounced Pete) Hein a few years ago and really enjoyed the wit and wisdom of his "Grooks" which is what his short, pithy poems are called. This Danish poet, author, scientist, mathematician and architect (1905-1996) wrote about a thousand "Grooks." I googled Piet Hein and found some of his poems online and thought I'd share a few of my favorites:
What Love is Like

Love is like a pineapple,
sweet and
undefinable.
Thoughts on a Station Platform
It ought to be plain
how little you gain
by getting excited
and vexed.
You'll always be late
for the previous train
and always in time
for the next.
Wisdom is --
Wisdom is
the booby prize
given when you've been
unwise.
Virtue
A bit
of virtue
will never
hurt you.
Making Sense
Life makes sense
and who could doubt it,
if we have
no doubt about it.
Problems
Problems worthy
of attack
prove their worth
by hitting back.
T.T.T.
Put up in a place
where it's easy to see
the cryptic admonishment
T.T.T.
When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember that
Things Take Time
Grook on Long-winded Authors
Long winded writers I abhor,
and glib, prolific chatters;
give me the ones who tear and gnaw
their hair and pens to tatters;
who find their writing such a chore
they only write what matters.
I hope you enjoy these wise and funny sayings as much as I do.
The Illustration and all text is owned by Piet Hein's estate.
3 comments:
It's just as good the second time around! Thank you for linking up with SCT.
L, Jillian
I love these! He says so much in so few words, and the Grooks are right-on in their wisdom.
Post a Comment