Wednesday, January 26, 2011

SIMPLE PLEASURES

Back in November, I had the privilege of being asked to read to my granddaughter's second grade class. It was so cute the way the teacher does this! She asks the children to try to guess who the "mystery guest reader" is by having them shut their eyes and asking the "mystery" person questions. Some of the questions had to do with whether I lived in VA or somewhere else, whether I was a man or a woman (I had disguised my voice), whether I was a Grandma, etc. Finally, after all the questioning, my granddaughter raised her hand and said, "Are you MY Gramma?" I said yes and she ran over and hugged me! Then, I read the class a book about a family's troubles with their Thanksgiving turkey! I had the Simple Pleasure of being a part of my granddaughter's class that day.


If you would like to see more Simple Pleasures please drop by our hostess, Dayle, at A Collection of This and That

19 comments:

LV said...

My granddaughter does this at her son's school. He is in kindergarten. She really enjoys it.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

I had NO IDEA you had done this! Even I was surprised by the mystery reader. How cute to hear/see her reaction! What a fun Gramma moment. How did you get picked?

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

How special, for both of you. Sounds like she has a great teacher, with fun ideas.

It's Just Dottie said...

I was a fourth grade teacher for over twenty years and I enjoyed story time as much as the children did.

Sue said...

What a very special day for you and your granddaughter, as well as her classmates.
Sue

Trish said...

Oh Jean your grand-daughter must have been so thrilled!
What a joy for you both and what a fantastic idea for school children to experience :-)
blessings..Trish

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that must have been! What a special time for her to show off her Nana ! :) Maria.

corners of my life said...

What a fun event ~ lucky you and lucky granddaughter.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

what a great idea and helps engage the kids in the process.

Unknown said...

That is so sweet! How precious for your granddaughter. What a wonderful surprise!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful & something she's never forget... I still remember people coming to my class in grade school & doing different things w/ the class & I'm 40! heheheee
I call moments like this w/ family 'Memory Makers'
God bless you! =)

Heather said...

This is such a fabulous idea for the children!!! What a great post and blessing for you granddaughter. It makes me all watery eyed to imagine her feelings as she listened and heard your voice there with her eyes closed.

Angel @ Finding The Inspiring said...

Oh, how sweet! What a great idea and such a special memory for you and your granddaughter.

Debbie said...

OK, MISS DAISY... you just made me get all teary. I have no clue why because this is such a happy story. I guess they're happy tears.

This is a wonderful idea that I'm passing along to teachers (with real classrooms, not like me)

I know it was a simple pleasure to you because it was to me just reading it.

Katia said...

Oh my, indeed a most wonderful simple pleasure!!!! How special!!!! I say, this was one moment your darling sweet granddaughter will never forget.
Blessings,
katia

Anonymous said...

That is so lovely!

Irnie said...

this is a new thing for me here in malaysia.. and already found it very interesting if we could do the same thing here.. :)

Jennie said...

This is just precious! What a gift you have given your granddaughter. She will always cherish the times you spend with her - in the classroom and out! I think what makes it even more special is that you feel the same way back.

Kathleen said...

How wonderful, what a great thing to do. I bet your little granddaughter was thrilled! Grandparents are invited into the clssroom every so often over here. I haven't taken part yet but I definitely will when it's my turn.