I've taken up spinning ... no, not the kind where you spin wool into yarn and then weave something wonderful (and I so admire those of you who do!) No, this spinning is on a stationary bike and it is a great workout for strength and endurance and keeping your legs strong so you can get up out of a chair at age 80 or so without calling for help or using an electric lift chair (not that there's anything wrong with them!)

Picture courtesy of Google
Friends who know me and that I just turned 70 in December, sometimes look at me as if I've lost my mind when I tell them what I've signed up for at the local gym.
My first class was last Monday and I LOVED it! I wasn't sore the next day at all and I am looking forward to this Monday's class. I am going to pace myself and follow all instructions about how to set up my bike when I get to class so that I won't "blow out my knees" as our young instructor told us at the beginning of the class...allrighty then, let's follow directions here!
I will be posting of my Spinning adventures over the next few weeks. Stay tuned.
5 comments:
Good for you! I tried a spinning class once and never returned. I must have overspun! Knees still intact however.
Nice pink blog background!
Jillian Dau
Jillian,
My one complaint was that I kept sliding forward on the saddle. When I told my instructor she said I should probably wear something more "cottony!" I think I'll try a pair of sweats and see what happens!
Well, you just motivated me to get up off my not quite fifty tush.
Please do post updates so those of us who have never done it can see your progress.
I think they would play the "Elmira Gultch" theme music from "The Wizard of Oz" if I ever got on some wheels in a spinning class.
Wonderful! My husband and I exercise together in the morning - great for your heart! Inspiring,
Kathy
Sounds like fun. I'm getting a treadmill in a couple of weeks off my sister in law. I'm full of good intentions at the moment!
Post a Comment