Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SIMPLE PLEASURES

I took these pictures of the two hundred year old tree that guards the entrance to our cemetery and walkway to our church last November when I learned that the left half of the tree was dead and had to be removed. I only pray that the rest of the tree will survive the "surgery." It is such a Simple Pleasure to walk around and under this veteran of so many years of service to our congregation.
Click picture twice to read sign posted at entrance to cemetery
If you would like to see more Simple Pleasures, please visit Dayle at A Collection of This and
That.

16 comments:

sister sheri said...

Love old trees... makes me wonder about the history they could tell...

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

If trees could only talk! We have several in the back yard that should probably come down, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'd rather sit at my kitchen window and watch the birds and squirrels interact the with trees. So lovely.

Trish said...

Two hundred years old! Wow!
That is a real treasure!
blessings..Trish

Barbara Neubeck said...

Trees are so lovely. We have a large campher laurel growing into our yard from next door and we love it.40years ago it was a medium tree in our neighbours yard. Over time it has grown into a giant and is now more in our yard than theirs.Wonderful.
God Bless
Barb from Australia

Dorie said...

I, too, love old trees ~ the history and beauty of them.

Christine said...

Oh how I know about loving an old tree! Breaks my heart knowing it's history and now "surgery". Keep us posted.

Nikki (Sarah) said...

me too...love old trees and old buildings....if it could talk...and tell of years gone by...the stories would be fascinating...

Debbie said...

I stand in complete agreement with you on this. We had a tree which had to go years ago at our church. One elderly man save a planting of it so we have its "son" on the grounds.

There is such a rich history and witness that the old trees have.

I love your old church. I think it is fascinating that so many soldiers are buried there. I have a passion regarding the Revolutionary War.

BTW, I told my husband all about your SP from last week while we were driving this week. It was one of my favorites. He agrees that that is a great reading idea for classrooms.

Kay K said...

beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing

Canadagirl said...

What a wonderful history that tree has. I really hope the remaining half survives. Thank you for sharing such a neat simple pleasure.

Blessings in Him<><
-Mary

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

As a tree lover, it always brings me great pleasure to see old trees that have lived through the storms. What a beauty.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a wonderful old tree, I hope it survives...what stories it could tell. Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a nice comment. Incidently, we have simliar tastes in art, I love the Impressionists.

Pat said...

Wow! That is an old tree, and what a history there is behind the cemetary there. Most historical things, other than Native American artifacts, are not much older than 150 years. You have a beautiful old church. I grew up Methodist, too, but now attend an EFCA church.

Pat said...

Thank you for the comment on my new glasses post. I take back what I said about my new $9 frames--The third day after I got them, a minute (4 mm long) screw came out of the piece that holds the left-side nose protector to the frame. I could barely even hold the tiny screw, let alone screw it back in. So I'm taking my new glasses back and getting a different, better quality frame! Oh well, live and learn.

septembermom said...

Beautiful pictures! Love gazing at trees - so regal and captivating.

Thank you so much for contributing to Write With Pictures. I'm so happy to tell you that your contribution won!! Here's the winning announcement:

http://writewithpictures.blogspot.com/2011/01/mondays-free-write_31.html

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Ooooh no! That was a neat tree by the walkway... I remember it!

I hope you are going to do a post on your recent win... that is neat!