Sunday, May 3, 2009

23rd PSALM - A PSALM OF DAVID


Twice this past week, first in a fraternal organization I belong to and again at church this morning, we've been asked to recite the 23rd Psalm. I have no idea what the significance of this might be but I really wonder if it is just coincidence. We were asked to recite it from memory because as both leaders expressed it, "I think this is one psalm that we can all recite from memory since most of us learned it as children." Psalm 23 is so amazingly reassuring , especially in this very insecure world we live in today.



1The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.


2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:

He leadeth me beside the still waters.


3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the

paths of righteousness for his name's sake.


4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the

shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou


art with me; thy rod and thy staff they com-

fort me.

5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence

of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil;


my cup runneth over.



6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the


days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the


Lord for ever.

-KJV

9 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

You must have posted late, Ms. Daisy! I've been looking for you!

Many years ago, I had a dynamic young pastor's wife who taught on this psalm and it's become a favorite of mine. Like you said, it is comforting!

Hope you have a great week ahead, Jean!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I love the 23rd Psalm. It is often read at a funeral but I like how reassuring it is in our everyday life. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi

Charlotte said...

I think this must be the most quoted most memorized Psalm. It is such a comforting scripture. Somebody, I can't remember who it was, posted this Psalm today with photos to illustrate each line.
Hope you had a great weekend.
Blessings.
Charlotte

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Have you ever read "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller? It's one of my favorite books! He explains the 23rd Psalm in a wonderful way.

Katherine

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

A very helpful and comforting Psalm! I should memorize all of it!

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is a wonderful Psalms. I love all the Psalms and enjoying reading them over and over.
God Bless,
Ginger

Melissa said...

We read this Psalm at church on Sunday, too, and at my sister's service.

It's so beautiful and comforting, isn't it?

Love Melissa

kab said...

Your sweet granddaughter is also learning it for her school class! She is doing quite well and even has motions to go with it! Sweet!

sister sheri said...

A Psalm that touches us... no matter where we are... or what we are doing!