
A few weeks ago a friend sent me this email and, since I grew up in the 50's it touched me and I would like to share it today.
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day."
The clerk responded "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."
He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.
But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.
In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.
But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.
Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220-volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand new clothing.
But that old lady is right; they didn't have the green thing back in her day.
Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you. When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.
Back then they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.
But she's right; they didn't have the green thing back then.
They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.
But they didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or rode the school bus instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
8 comments:
That is a wonderful message and so true. I have been there and one that.
And I think times were simplier then too...we didn't have so much JUNK to deal with.
Well I wasn't born till the 60's but I'm going off of the "Mayberry RFD" show and others of that era. HA!
Oh Wow!! What a great post. I love it!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am having a giveaway of our all natural organic products. I would love for you to enter.
This is so true. We also did not have rude grocery clerks in those days. The Duchess.
The BIGGEST Amen to this one! I think often how much "greener" we were before "green" became cool.
And don't you wonder if the interchange at the beginning really DID happen and it prompted the story. I can totally see that kind of thing being said to someone today.
I enjoyed this post even though I am stuck in the middle of the two generations....yours and the generation my StepChildren are in.
Love that vintage pic!
Great post, Jean. I miss the former years.
Great post. I'm so missing those good old days. I would just love to give your post to the rude clerk!
Post a Comment